Translate

Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Baby Graduated From Middle School Today...

...all 5'11" of him...
And sitting there in the audience of proud parents, it suddenly occurred to me....
that ALL the baby-ness was gone...
And in front of me stood a man....no longer a child...not at all...
And in this moment of EPIPHANY , I realized that he was no longer an "open book"...
that his life was his own...
his private thoughts and actions were no longer MINE to scrutinize and analyze....
but HIS, to contemplate and initiate in his own way....in his own time....
And this awakening on my part was fraught with NOSTALGIA....with EMOTION...
We WANT our children to thrive and to grow...
We spend our "parental lives" aspiring to this VERY outcome...
And yet, the BITTERSWEET knowledge that a door is closing hangs over the scene....
NOT in a SAD way exactly.....but in a POETICALLY JARRING way...
And I need to close now because my tears are saturating the screen as I type...
And so it goes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment